Short Term Accommodations

About Short-Term Accommodations

 What is a short-term accommodation?

A short-term accommodation is;

  • a dwelling or dwelling unit, or any portion of it that is rented for financial compensation for a period of 30 days or less;
  • commonly marketed through web-based platforms such as AirBnb and VRBO;
  • does not include established hotels, motels, recreational campgrounds and trailer parks.

Does the Township regulate Short Term Accommodations?

The Township does not regulate or prohibit short-term accommodations. Council understands that for decades it has been a traditional practice for many residents to rent/lend their properties to others.

All properties, including Short Term Accommodations must comply with all municipal, provincial and federal regulations.

Starting a Short-Term Accommodation

Is a short-term accommodation business right for you?

Offering short-term accommodations to the general public can be an exciting and innovative way to generate income. As with any business operation, there are many factors to consider while determining if this is the right fit for you.

  • What are your business goals? ie. How much money are you looking to make?
  • How much time are you willing to devote to your business?
  • Do you have experience working with the general public?
  • Will you be available to handle unforeseen circumstances?
  • Do you have a thorough understanding of STA customer expectations?

How do I start a short-term accommodation?  


Short Term Accommodations must be a permitted land use for your property. For more information please see the  Township’s Planning Page.

Building Use Conversion

Under the Ontario Building Code, if a property owner wishes to change the intended use of a structure (ie. a residential house to a Short-Term Accommodation), a building permit and certain building/safety upgrades may be required for the conversion. For more information, please contact the Chief Building Official.

The requirements for sizing of onsite sewage system are in the Ontario Building Code and based on the number of bedrooms, finished area, and the number of plumbing fixtures.  All septic system inquiries, services and permits are by the South Frontenac Building Department. For more information please email or call (613) 376-3027 ext. 2226


The Township does not require licensing specific to short-term accommodations. To operate a business in Ontario your business must be incorporated and/or obtain a Master Business License (MBL) issued by the Ontario Ministry of Government and Consumer Services (MGCS).

Licensing requirements for other complimentary business services may be required by local, provincial and federal legislation. Please see the Starting a Business section for more information.

Public Health

Before opening a short-term accommodation you should contact KFL&A Public Health at (613) 549-1232 to ensure your systems meet the requirements for food safety, drinking water (wells), spas and swimming pools.

Operating a Short-Term Accommodation

Operator Responsibilities
  • Keep your property in good repair
  • Obey provincial and municipal health, safety and maintenance standards
  • Ensure your guests understand and adhere to all municipal bylaws
  • Provide access to vital services such as hot and cold water, electricity, heat and fuel.
Good Practices
  • Use a legal professional to develop your rental agreement
  • Have a ‘user guide’ for your guests outlining all relevant information about your property and the municipality
  • Be familiar with local amenities and experiences
  • Invest in energy-efficient solutions to reduce energy costs
  • Provide your contact information to your guests and neighbours


Operators should ensure they have appropriate property and liability insurance to protect against potential damages. It is recommended to consult with multiple insurance brokers who have an adequate understanding of Short-Term Accommodations. It is very important to follow all terms outlined in your insurance policy to ensure your coverage remains in place.


As a property owner, you must ensure continuous adherence to the Ontario Building Code based on your property’s structure and use. Should an issue arise, your property could be subject to inspection and an order for appropriate corrective action.

Fire Safety

Short-Term Accommodation providers are considered landlords with specific responsibilities and property requirements under the Ontario Fire Code Regulations for ensuring the fire safety of persons who rent your home or part of your home whether this is on a short term or long term basis.


Smoke Alarms

Every home in Ontario must have a working smoke alarm on every storey and outside all sleeping areas.

Landlord Responsibilities:

  • Ensure working smoke alarms are installed and maintained
  • Test smoke alarms annually and when the battery is replaced, changes are made to the electric circuit or a change in tenancy occurs. Records must be kept on the premises.
  • Provide smoke alarm manufacturer’s maintenance instructions to tenants.

Best Practices

  • Install a smoke alarm in every bedroom of the home
  • Test smoke alarms monthly or in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions
  • Replace batteries in smoke alarms once per year or when the low-battery warning sounds

Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Any house containing a fuel burning appliance, fireplace or an attached garage requires a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm installed adjacent to each sleeping area in the house. (Fuel-burning appliances include furnaces, hot water heaters, gas or wood fireplaces, portable fuel-burning heaters and generators, barbeques, stoves and vehicles.)

Landlord Responsibilities:

  • Ensure working carbon monoxide alarms are installed and maintained
  • Test CO alarms annually and when the battery is replaced, changes are made to the electric circuit or a change in tenancy occurs. Records must be kept on the premises.
  • Provide CO alarm manufacturer’s maintenance instructions to tenants. 

Best Practices

  • Install a CO alarm on every storey of the home
  • Test CO alarm monthly or in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions
  • Replace batteries in CO alarms once per year or whenever the low-battery warning sounds.

Fire Extinguishers

Portable fire extinguishers with a minimum 2A-5BC rating shall be made available, visibly mounted on each floor area including the kitchen and shall be inspected and tagged annually.

Exit Plan

Landlords are to instruct occupants on the emergency procedures to be followed when a fire alarm sounds. Keep all escape routes clear of obstructions and easily accessible.


Ensure candles are in a sturdy fire-proof holder and away from anything that can burn or cause them to tip over. When you leave the room always blow them out.


Smoking materials are the #1 cause of fire deaths. Follow these simple smoking safety tips to prevent a smoking-related fire.

  • Be alert! Never smoke in bed, when drinking or taking medication or other drugs that can cause drowsiness.
  • Always use large, deep ashtrays on a sturdy table.
  • Before you throw out butts and ashes, make sure they are out, and dousing in water or sand is the best way to do that.
  • Check under furniture cushions and in other places people smoke for cigarette butts that may have fallen out of sight.
  • Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used
  • Keep matches and lighters up high, out of children's sight and reach.
  • When possible, smoke outdoors.
  • Install a photoelectric smoke alarm above your favourite place to smoke. If you have a fire you will get the early warning you need to escape.

Other Tips

  • Use extension cords safely and not under carpets or obstructing walkways
  • Store gasoline-powered equipment outside of the house
  • Ensure containers for flammable liquids, solvent, adhesives and pressurized aerosol cans are approved and stored according to manufacturer recommendations
  • Keep furnace rooms free of clutter and ensure 1 meter clear area around each piece of service equipment
  • Ensure furnace filter has been replaced in the past year
  • Ensure fireplace chimney has been inspected and cleaned in the past year.
  • Clean the dryer lint trap before each use and the whole dryer vent at least yearly
  • If a FIRE BAN is in effect, then no person shall start a fire or permit a fire to continue to burn, EXCEPT in a portable stove or BBQ;
  • All campfires are to be no larger than 1m x 1m.

Please check the Township of North Frontenac website  or call (613) 336-1851 / (613) 479-0399 for the current FIRE BAN status and BURNING BYLAW.

*** For any questions, please contact the Fire Chief at (613) 479-2231 ext. 232 or ***

For more information please see our Buring By-law on the Township's Civic Web Portal where all Township By-laws are e-published.


The Province of Ontario has established mandatory accessibility standards though the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) that identify, remove and prevent barriers for people with disabilities. The regulations include customer service requirements, employment and workplace standards for businesses with one or more employees.


Guests who bring dogs should be mindful that their dog is in an unfamiliar territory. The dog may bark incessantly, dig or wander off the property if not leashed.

  • Guests should always clean up after the dog when it leaves waste;
  • The risk of wildlife interactions is very real;
  • Dogs are not allowed on any public beach in the township;
  • Dogs found running at large are subject to seizure and impound with all fines and fees payable by the owner
Septic Systems 

Your guests may not be familiar with using a septic system. To ensure the health of your septic system and protect the local groundwater ensure the system is inspected regularly and pumped when necessary. Occupants should;

  • Never put greases down the drain
  • Never flush cigarette butts, paper towels, sanitary napkins, tampons, condoms, disposable diapers, plastics or similar non-biodegradables down the drains;
  • Dispose of chemicals and fuels at appropriate waste sites;
  • Use excessively use water as septic systems need time to work;
  • Avoid caustic drain openers and cleaners;
  • Not park or drive over the leaching bed area


There are a variety of strategies you can use to market your business. Select methods that resonate with the guests you wish to attract. Suggestions include;

  • Utilize a listing channel such as Airbnb or HomeAway
  • Have a professional quality website with lots of photos
  • Be active on Social Media
  • List on free classified ads sites
  • Explore SEO and content marketing possibilities
  • Connect with local businesses
  • Develop referral and/or repeat customer incentives
  • Partner with other providers on print/media opportunities

    For more information please see our Economic Development page.

Helpful Marketing Resources

Local Attractions and Experiences

North Frontenac has many great local experiences to enhance your guests visit. Please see our Business Directory for a list of our local businesses. Alternatively, you can call the township office at (613) 479-2231.

Neighbours and Community

Benefits of Short-Term Accommodations

 Positive Economic Impact
STAs can have a positive economic impact on the local economy as guests spend money on local amenities such as Attractions, Experiences, Restaurants and Retail establishments.
Increased Publicity
STAs attract individuals from varied backgrounds who may not be accessible through the traditional accommodation channels. Increases in publicity can lead to increased interest in investing and/or relocating to the area.
Regular Property Maintenance
STAs are a marketable commodity with high guest expectations. There is increased pressure on operators to keep properties well-maintained and updated.

Community Concerns

It is important to remember that our township receives thousands of visitors each year and the overwhelming majority of them do so with regard to all. Nevertheless, here are some of the common concerns raised by our community.

Noise Disruptions 

It can be very upsetting to have the quiet solitude of our township unnecessarily disturbed. The Township takes violations of the noise by-law very seriously. Individual first-time violators of our noise by-law face fines of up to $5,000 and with subsequent convictions this increases to $10,000.


If you are celebrating using fireworks, ensure there isn't a Fire Ban in place and you are being safe. Please be mindful of your neighbours and the time of day.

Strewing and dumping of garbage (including at Waste Site gates during non-operating hours) is unacceptable and impacts our local ecology. When dumping occurs, our township works quickly to locate the culprit and prevent further recurrences. Our Public Works department does extensive outreach to residents and guests to ensure waste can be properly disposed of. Public Works is continually evaluating solutions that may improve the waste disposal experience for renters and guests.
List of applicable by-laws
Burning/Fire By-law

The Township regulates the setting of open air fires including campfires and fireworks. Check out the Township’s website for up-to-date information for fire bans as well as review the Township's Burning Bylaw.

For more information please see our Burning By-law on the Township's Civic Web Portal where all Township By-laws are e-published.

Noise Control By-law

The Township has a Noise and Public Nuisances Bylaw that regulates the use of ringing bells, blowing of horns, shouting and unusual noises likely to disturb inhabitants and for prohibiting and abating public nuisances. 

For more information please see our Noise Control By-law on the Township's Civic Web Portal where all Township By-laws are e-published.

Zoning By-Law

The Zoning By-law sets out the areas where Short Term Accommodations are permitted and provisions regarding lands uses (i.e. where buildings and structures may be located; types of buildings permitted and how they may be used; setbacks from lot lines; parking, etc.). 

For more information please see our Zoning By-law on the Township's Civic Web Portal where all Township By-laws are e-published, or visit the Township’s Planning Page.

Building By-Law

North Frontenac’s Building By-Law protects the interests of individuals and the community as a whole by ensuring building and structures adhere to the Ontario Building Code, Zoning By-Law and other applicable legislation such as Conservation Authority approvals.

For more information please see our Building By-law on the Township's Civic Web Portal where all Township By-laws are e-published.

Parking By-Law

The Township regulates the parking of vehicles on public streets and areas.

For more information please see our Parking By-law on the Township's Civic Web Portal where all Township By-laws are e-published.

Waste/Recycling By-Law

North Frontenac operates a network of Transfer Stations and Waste Sites.

  • Anyone dropping waste and recycling off must have a Waste Site Permit. If you are renting, please speak to the property owner;
  • Only clear bags are accepted at Waste Sites. 1 small opaque privacy bag is permitted;
  • Each clear bag of household garbage must have a purchased bag tag attached unless accompanied by an equivalent of household recycling recyclables

For more information please see our Waste and Recycling By-law on the Township's Civic Web Portal where all Township By-laws are e-published.

Conflict Resolution and Reporting 

Informal Resolution

For non-emergencies, try to talk or write to the person responsible (ie. landlord) for the conflict prior to reporting an issue to the Township. Be calm and state the impact the conflict is having in a clear, friendly manner. 

 Analyze the Problem

Ask yourself what has caused the conflict, what it is you want and how best can it be achieved?

Stay Calm

Your response to the conflict can escalate or de-escalate the problem. Try to provide a neutral point of view.

Be Specific

Avoid generalizations such as “Your cottage always has a party”. Refer to specific instances that are causing the conflict.

Listen Actively

Ensure all parties have a chance to be heard so that all viewpoints are understood.

Blame the Problem, not the Person

Attributing negative feelings to a person only furthers the divide between you. Try focusing on the problem and its resolution.

Work Together

Try to move past the conflict through developing a creative solution to the problem together.

Agree to Disagree
Each person has a unique point of view and rarely agrees on every detail. Understanding that each person can see things differently can put the focus on finding a mutually agreeable solution and less on who is ‘right’.  

Rental Platform Support

If the property Some rental platforms have in-house processes to report hosts and guests that aren’t following their codes of conduct, local bylaws and/or creating a disturbance.

AirBnb or call 1 (855) 635-7754

Vrbo          Call 1 (877)202-4291 

HomeToGo or 1 (202) 729-9850


There are often providers in the community available for free or paid mediation. Find a provider that is right for both parties.

Report an Issue

For all emergencies and urgent real-time fire related concerns please call 911.

For all other issues, please see Report an Issue.


Starting Up

How is a Bed and Breakfast different than a Short-Term Accommodation?

A Bed & Breakfast is a private dwelling designed to be used in part for the accommodation of the traveling or vacationing public and may also include the provision of meals and complimentary services to the guest room occupants. A Bed and Breakfast shall only be permitted where listed as an accessory use in the Zone in which the property is located and shall be operated by the owner of the single detached dwelling, who typically live on-site.


What zones in North Frontenac currently permit Short-Term Accommodations?

Short-Term Accommodations are permitted in the following zones subject to specific exceptions;

  • Residential – Multiple (RM)
  • RW Residential – Waterfront (RW)
  • Hamlet (H)
  • Rural (RU)
  • Limited Services Rural (LSR)
  • Limited Services Waterfront (LSW)
  • Rural Co-Operative (CO)
  • General Commercial (GC)
How do I find out what zone my property is in?

To find the zoning of a property, please visit Frontenac Maps at the following link: and select North Frontenac Zoning (2019) under the Layer tab.  Additional details on the property and surrounding properties can also be viewed on this mapping website.

Can I have multiple short-term accommodation units on my property?

The property must have the appropriate zoning to permit multiple dwellings (i.e. Recreational Commercial). If the proposed development does not meet the provisions of the Zoning By-law, the property owner may submit a Zoning By-law Amendment Application. For information regarding the Zoning By-law Amendment, please visit the Township’s Planning Page.

For more information please see our Zoning By-law on the Township's Civic Web Portal where all Township By-laws are e-published.

How do I add a short-term accommodation unit to my property?

If your property is a rural property not located on the waterfront, you may be permitted to build a secondary house for short-term accommodation rentals. The Township permits a second house within the main structure or in an accessory structure as long as certain provisions are met including lot size and adequate servicing. Please see section 3.1.3 Secondary Dwelling Unit of the Township’s Zoning Bylaw for detailed provisions for the second house. Please see our Zoning By-law on the Township's Civic Web Portal where all Township By-laws are e-published.

If your property is a waterfront property, you may need to rezone your property to permit additional development including a short-term accommodation rental. To set up a consultation meeting to discuss this option, please contact the Planning Department.


When Do I need a building permit?

You can find a general information list here.

I want to build a micro-home/Bunkie that is under 10m², do I still need a permit?

All structures intended for human occupancy require a building permit regardless of their size.

How much does a building permit cost?

Building permits for the purpose of construction cost $14/$1000 of construction value. Some permits such as Residential Demolitions, Wood Stoves and Pools have a flat fee of $180. Additional fees are charged only for remote/water access properties and those which require additional inspections.

For more information please see our Fees and Charges By-law on the Township's Civic Web Portal where all Township By-laws are e-published.

I want to put a pool on my property. Do I need a building permit?

Yes, all pools require a building permit. Please check with our Building Department at

What happens if I build without a building permit?

If you build without a permit, you will be subject to an additional administrative fee along with permit fees that would have originally been required. Your property will also be subject to corrective action necessary to ensure adherence to applicable regulations.


Where can I find the current Burn Ban Status and Fire Danger?

Please visit or call (613) 336-1851 or (613) 479-0399.

How big can my campfire be?

According to our fire by-law, a campfire cannot be larger than 1 meter in height and 1 meter in diameter.

Where can I get assistance in designing a fire escape plan?

You can find a printable escape plan template here.

What does “adjacent to each sleeping area” mean in terms of installation location?

This means the hallway serving or area outside the sleeping area. For instance, a CO alarm must be installed in the hallway adjacent to multiple bedrooms in a house or apartment. There may be situations where “adjacent to each sleeping area” refers to the area around the bed, within the bedroom or sleeping area itself.

Can I request a fire inspection for my property?

Inspections are offered free of charge subject to staff availability. Please contact (613) 479-2231 Ext. 232 or email to book an inspection.

Waste and Recycling

What should I know about bringing waste and recycling to the Waste site?

  • Anyone dropping waste and recycling off must have a Waste Site permit
  • Clear bags only (1 small opaque privacy bag permitted)
  • Each garbage bag must have a purchased bag tag attached unless accompanied by a matching full bag of recyclables
  • Bags containing garbage mixed with recyclables will not be accepted

For more information please see our Waste and Recycling By-law and our Fees and Charges By-law on the Township's Civic Web Portal where all Township By-laws are e-published.

What payment methods are accepted at waste sites?

All Waste Sites and Transfer Stations accept cash or cheque. Please make cheques payable to the Corporation of the Township of North Frontenac.

Does each STA renter have to show a waste site permit?

Property Owners are responsible for providing a Waste Site Permit to each renter.

Where can I find a list of dump locations and hours? 
Please visit our Waste and Recycling page for more details. 

What recyclables do you accept?

A detailed list of accepted recyclables can be found here

Where can I buy clear bags?

Clear bags can be purchased at various retail locations in North Frontenac such as hardware stores and grocery stores. Please see our Business Directory for more information.

What if I rent in Addington Highlands?

Renters in Addington Highlands can only access the Cloyne Transfer Site at 202 Skootamatta Lake Rd or a Waste Site managed by Addington Highlands.

Contact Us